Protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information is an important aspect of the way Inertia conducts its business. Collecting, using, and disclosing personal information in an appropriate, responsible, and ethical manner is fundamental to Inertia’s daily operations.
Inertia strives to protect and respect the personal information of its customers, employees, business partners and others it engages with in accordance with all applicable regional and federal laws. Each staff member of Inertia must abide by Inertia’s procedures and practices when handling personal information.
Personal information is defined as any identifying information about an individual or group of individuals, including name, date of birth, address, phone number, e-mail address, social insurance/security number, nationality, gender, health history, financial data, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, assets, debts, liabilities, payment records, credit records, loan records, opinions, and personal views.
Business information is defined as business address, business telephone number, names of owners, executive officers, and directors, job titles, business registration numbers, and financial status. Business information is treated and handled with the same level of confidentiality, privacy, and respect as personal information.
Consent occurs and is obtained when an individual signs and/or electronically submits to Inertia an application or other form containing personal information, thereby authorizing Inertia to collect, use, and disclose the individual’s personal information for the purposes stated on the form or in the Appropriate Use section of this policy. This allows Inertia to choose to obtain or verify information from third parties (such as banks, credit bureaus, lenders, or insurance companies) in the process of assessing the eligibility of an individual, customer, client, job applicant, or business partner.
Inertia collects and uses personal information solely for the purpose of conducting business and is committed to the following:
- Inertia assumes full accountability for the personal information within its possession and control. This organization has appointed the President as custodian of all privacy matters and legal compliance with privacy laws.
- Inertia obtains personal information directly from the individual to which the information belongs. Individuals are entitled to know how Inertia uses personal information and this organization will limit the use of any personal information collected only to what is needed for those stated purposes. Inertia will obtain individual consent if personal information is to be used for any other purpose.
- Inertia may share compiled demographic information with its business partners and/or advertisers and in this case, no personal information that can identify any individual person shall be disclosed.
- Inertia will retain personal information only for the duration it is needed for conducting business. Once personal information is no longer required, it will be destroyed in a safe and secure manner. Certain laws may require that certain personal information be kept for a specified amount of time. Where this is the case, the law will supersede this policy.
- Inertia vows to protect personal information with the appropriate security measures, physical safeguards and electronic precautions. Inertia maintains personal information through a combination of paper and electronic files. Where required by law or disaster recovery/business continuity policies, older records may be stored in a secure, offsite location.
- Access to personal information will be authorized only for the employees and other agents of Inertia who require the information to perform their job duties, and to those otherwise authorized by law.
- Inertia’s computer and network systems are secured by complex passwords. Only authorized individuals may access secure systems and databases.
- Active physical files are kept in locked filing cabinets.
- Routers and servers connected to the Internet are protected by a firewall.
- Inertia’s web site may contain links to other sites, but Inertia is not responsible for the privacy practices of other organizations’ sites.
- While IP addresses will be logged in order to administer the site, track visitor movement, and gather demographic information, these IP addresses will not be linked to any personally identifiable information.
- Any registration or order form asking site visitors to enter personal or financial information will be protected by SSL encryption.
- Site visitors are given the choice to opt out of having their personal information used at the point where the information is gathered by choosing not to submit the information.
- In most instances, Inertia will grant individuals access to their personal information upon presentation of a written request and satisfactory identification. If an individual finds errors of fact with his/her personal information, they can notify Inertia to make the appropriate corrections. Should Inertia deny an individual’s request for access to his/her personal information, Inertia will advise in writing of the reason for such a refusal which the individual may then also choose to challenge.
- Inertia may use personal information without the individual’s consent under particular circumstances. These situations include, but are not limited to:
- Inertia is under obligation by law to disclose personal information in order to adhere to the requirements of an investigation of the contravention of a regional or federal, under the purview of the appropriate authorities.
- An emergency exists that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security.
- The personal information is for in-house statistical study or research.
- The personal information is already publicly available.
- Disclosure is required to investigate a breach of contract.
Ray Minato, President
34 Kern Road, Unit 3
Toronto, ON M3B 1T1
Inertia will investigate and respond to concerns about any aspect of the handling of personal information and will address concerns to the best of our abilities.